It is easy to make purses. However, most beautiful fabrics which we used to make purses lack the durability and stability pursers require. Therefore, sometimes, we need to stiffen handmade pursers to hold their shape during use.
Steps to Stiffen Handmade Purses
- Cut two pieces of fusible webs which are one inch smaller than the pattern on the outside of the purse.
- Place the fabric pieces that will become the external sides of the purse right side down on an ironing board. Place the fusible web on the fabric with the paper facing up and bond the fusible web to the fabric with ironing. Repeat with the other piece of fusible web as well as the other pattern piece of the purse. Attach the fusible web to the wrong sides of the outside of the purse.
- Remove the paper from the fusible web when it is completely cool.
- Sew the purse together. Now, the fusible web has been bonded to the fabric, making the finished purse more stability.
- You can find fusible web at craft stores and at Walmart.
- It is recommended to cut the fusible web slightly smaller than the pattern pieces. Otherwise, if the fusible web covers the entire piece, it will be stitched into the seams. It is difficult to sew though fusible web. Besides, the needle will become sticky, and the thread will break often.