Clutch purse can go with formal as well as semi-formal attire. You can make a new leather clutch. You also can rejuvenate an old clutch with a new lining.
- Cut the lining fabric.
- Use a square or rectangular lining fabric to make a cell phone, compact or lipstick pocket. Cut the patch enough to accommodate the internal storage items, plus the seam allowance. Turn under the seam allowance on the side and bottom of the patch, hem the top of the patch, and sew the top patch to the right side of the lining.
- Stitch the leather and the lining together and keep right side together, beginning stitches approximately 1 1/2 inches from the corner on the side that will be left open. Turn the corner and sew approximately 1 1/2 inches past the corner when sewing the third side.
- Trim the seam allowance, clip corners close to the stitching.
- Finally, top sew around the lined leather on all four sides.
- Cut fabric lining.
- Sew right sides of the lining fabric together, leaving an opening large enough to pull the bag through in the bottom seam. Trim the seam allowance, and press the opening seam allowance.
- Sew right sides of the top edge of the pouch together, and trim the seam allowance. Through the opening in the lining pouch, pull the leather pouch. Slip stitch the opening closed, and push the lining inside the bag.
- Attach clasp frame.
- Take out the stitches where the lining is attached to the facing band.
- Take the old lining apart.
- Cut lining fabric pieces according to the old lining pieces, leaving a seam allowance of 3/4 inches.
- If you like, you can add pockets to the new lining. Sew the lining pieces together. Leave an opening in the bottom seam. Trim the seam allowance.
- Place the leather pouch inside the lining, leaving the right sides together. Sew the lining to the facing.
- Through the opening in the bottom of the lining, pull the leather pouch. Slip stitch the opening together, and push the lining inside the clutch.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: