With proper care, a leather handbag should last for years with its handsome appearance. Considering that leather specialists and professional cleaners need high fees, we can try using a washing machine to bring our bag back to life right at home.
1. Determine If the Bag Is Safe to Machine Wash
- Determine if the color will fade or run. Use a damp, white towel to rub a hidden area of the leather. If the color does not fade or come off, the bag is safe to wash.
- Gently pull the handbag’s seams, zippers and other hardware to check the strength of the handbag to ensure that this bag is strong enough to be tumbled around in the washing machine.
- Check the lining of the handbag to determine if it can be machine wash and make sure it is not a shrinkage fabric.
- Empty bag’s all contents.
- Secure zippers and other hardware.
- Place handbag in a mesh laundry bag.
3. Set Machine Washing
- Add cleaning product to the water, or put it directly into the detergent dispenser.
- Add the handbag to the machine.
- Set washing machine to cold water, and run a gentle or delicate cycle.
- Never use any harsh chemicals, household cleaners or products containing alcohol, for these will damage the leather.
- If possible, switch your machine to the small load setting.
- Do not wash more than one at a time.
4. Dry Handbag
- Once the wash cycle is complete, remove the handbag immediately and shake to reshape.
- Let it air dry.
- Do not place it on a heat surface for heat may shrink or stiffen the leather.
- Use dry towels to stuff your handbag to restore its original shape and minimize creasing.
- When drying, you can lightly shake and pat the leather to keep it from stiffening.