Painting a design on a leather tweak your purse more extra personalized. Acrylic paints can help to quickly and safely paint a leather purse, for acrylic paints are flexible. Before painting a leather purse, you had better prepare the purse to take the paint.
Steps to Paint a Leather Purse
- Use old toothbrush and a mild detergent solution to clean the area on the purse you want to paint.
- Soak a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol.
- Wipe the area you are painting to remove any shiny coatings that may prevent the paint from absorbing properly.
- Use fine-grained sandpaper to lightly sand the area to roughen up the leather.
- Use a dampen cotton ball to moisten the prepared leather.
- Apply the chosen design in water-based acrylic paint using a paintbrush.
- Apply multiple coats of paint to achieve the desired color strength.
- When the paint is dry, bend the purse several times to ensure that the paint does not crack.
- Apply a second coat of paint over the first.
- Bend the second coat as you did the first.
- Apply a third coat, if necessary.
- Apply a clear leather varnish over the purse to protect the paint work.