Traveling bag, also called carpet bag purse, comes in different size. However, how to make a carpet bag purse?
Steps to Make Carpet Bags
1. Draw the bag’s pattern on the pattern paper.
- For basic travel bags, the dimensions are 14 x14 inches.
- If you have selected a clasp-purse frame, make a pattern according to the size of the frame.
2. Draft bottom panel’s pattern.
- The dimensions are 14 x 7 inches.
- Measure your side panels 8 x 14 inches.
- Draw the patterns with ruler. Shape the bottom corners (optional) with French curve ruler.
- Cut your patterns.
3. Use straight pins to pin your patterns onto your fabric. Cut out bag’s shell and lining fabric parts to get two outer shell and lining pieces, two side panel shell and lining pieces, and one bottom shell and lining piece.
4. Pin pattern pieces to interfacing, and cut it out (optional).
5. Fix your shell together, wrong sides facing out. If you are working with interfacing, hand-sew it to the outer shell to pinning. Put your lining pieces together.
6. Stitch your outer shell and inner shell separately with machine stitch. Turn outer shell inside out, but do not turn lining inside out.
7. Insert lining into the carpet bag’s outer shell.
8. Sew across the raw top edge of purse, leaving a 3/4-inch seam allowance. Insert the seams into the frame.
9. Pin brass zipper in the raw edges, and pin zipper’s taping in between the shell and lining layers. Change the straight stitch of the sewing machine to the zipper foot and sew the zipper in place.
10. The top stitch is near the outer edge of your bottom side panel, retaining the bottom’s shape.
11. Attach the handles to the bag.
- For handles with a metal bar opening, sew a separate fabric loop for the bar and then stitch the fabric to the purse.
- For handles with square fabric end tabs, stitch them directly onto the shell prior to inserting your lining.
12. Cut off all loose threads.