Today, Gucci handbags, one of the modern staples of status, are considered to be among the hottest accessories a girl can own! Gucci handbag can be very expensive, but is worth the investment for it can be worn daily for many years.
As an immigrant hotel worker in Paris and later London, young Guccio Gucci noticed and appreciated how nobility dressed for formal and casual occasions. He established a shop in 1920 that sold fine leather goods with classic styling. And, he designed high-end leather luggage aimed at the upper classes. In 1984, Gucci was sold to an investment company based in Bahrain.
The Growth of Leather Goods
- With the popularity of Gucci in the 1930s, leather goods boutiques expanded and began selling saddles, shoes, belts, gloves and ladies’ handbags.
- In the fascist era, handbags became more and more popular and high-quality leather was harder to come by. Gucci began to make handbags with bamboo.
- In the 1970s, the design house added other fabrics such as satin for evening bags, and created additional handbag styles, such as the hobo.
In the 1930s, Gucci’s horse-bit became the symbol of the fashion house.
In the mid-1960s, the interlocking G’s gives Gucci another symbol to make this handbag recognizable.
Significance as Status Symbol
Since the invention in 1921, Gucci handbags have been a staple for the upper class. Jackie Kennedy carried a Gucci handbag in the 1960s which consolidate its position in the handbag market as a status symbol. This handbag is named the “Jackie O”, and now we still can buy it.
- Gucci tote bags, made out of leather or round bamboo, are square in shape and open at the top, and have two handles on the top of the bag.
- Gucci hobo handbag, introduced in the 1960s, has a round silhouette and can be found in mini, small, medium and large sizes.
- Gucci shoulder bags come in all sizes from small to large.
- Gucci clutches come with a detachable chain strap, giving wearers the option of using the clutch as a shoulder bag.
- Gucci’s handbags can be made of leather, satin or Gucci’s signature fabric with interlocking G’s.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: