Connect coconut shell pieces with copper, sterling silver or filled-gold wire, or semi-precious gemstones to make a high-end, one-of-a-kind purse. Or, you can connect coconut shell pieces with hemp, jute or sisal cord to make vegan-friendly versions of popular designer bags.
Steps to Make a Coconut Shell Purse
- Buy or cut the various shapes and sizes of coconut shells. Drill holes in each section, and the holes are positioned on opposite sides of each shell section, approximately an equal distance apart.
- Decide the width, depth and height of your coconut shell purse. Divide these dimensions by the width and height of each coconut shell portion.
For instance, your coconut sections are 2-inch squares or circles and you want to make a 2- by 16- by 8-inch purse, you will need 80 coconut shell plazas, including 4 pieces each for the right and left sides, 8 pieces for the purse bottom, and 32 pieces each for the front and back.
- First assemble the front section. Place the coconut shell part four high and five across. Connect every section to every section it touches. Repeat to assemble the back section.
- Connect two sets of four stacked coconut sections to assemble the right and left sides, using jump rings or thread and a tapestry needle. Connect eight more sections for the purse bottom. Sew the right side of the four coconut parts to the corresponding part of the front of the purse. Repeat this for the corresponding part on the back of the purse.
- Sew the left-side stack of four coconut sections to the corresponding sections on the purse back and front. Now, you have a purse exterior that is four coconut shell sections tall, one section wide and eight sections long.
- Make a bottom for the purse.
- Fold the top edge of a 10 x 19 inch piece of burlap over twice. Sew across the fabric 1/2-inch from the fold to make a top seam.
- Fold the 19-inch piece of burlap cloth in half across the 10-inch side. Sew along1/2 inch from the opening edge. Sew across the bottom of the jute bag 1/2 inch from the open edge.
- Turn the bag inside out, and then sew across it in place along the top edge of the inside of the coconut purse exterior.
- Attach any of the fasteners or jewelry you find to the handle.