If you want to make a purse, you can start with a bucket bag. Leather or vinyl or sturdy canvas can be used to make bucket bag.
Measure and Cut the Fabric
- Determine the size of the package.
- Add 1 inch to each measurement.
- Cut two rectangles of fabric to that measurement.
- (For instance, 12 inches tall and 16 inches wide is a good size for bag, but you should cut two rectangles that are 13 inches tall and 17 inches wide.)
- Cut the same-sized rectangles of the lining fabric.
- Cut strap by using scraps from your main fabric.
- This piece should be as long as you would like your strap, plus 2 inches.
- This piece should be twice as wide as your strap, plus 1 inch.
- For example, if you like an 18 x 1 inch strap, you should cut one that is 20 inches long and 3 inches wide.
- Fold the strap longitudinally, right sides together.
- Sew all the way down the strap, 1/2 inch from the edge.
- Turn the strap right side out.
- Place the zipper between the lining and outside fabrics, with right sides together, align the original edge of the zipper, and make sure the zipper pull is facing the outside fabric.
- Sew next to the zipper.
- Fold fabric and check the stitching.
- Press the fabrics into place with an iron.
- For the other two pieces of fabric on the other side of the zipper, repeat this step.
- Arrange the original edge of the outer fabric, the right side together and the zipper open. Sew along all three sides.
- Do the same for the lining fabric, leaving opening in the bottom.
- Trim the corner and turn the right side of the bag out. Sew the opening in the lining by hand.
- Use hardware to attach the straps. Install rivets or other pieces according to the instructions on the hardware package.
- Decorate the bag. For instance, you can use tires or decals for scrap of external fabrics.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: