Drawstring bags come in different sizes, each with a different purpose.
- For larger bag, you can use it as a tote bag.
- For medium size bag made from bright fabric, you can use it as a fun summer purse.
- For smaller size bag made from satin or velvet, you can use it as an evening bag.
It is very easy to make drawstring bags. Below, we will make a 10-inch wide, 12-inch tall drawstring bag.
- Buy a half yards of fabric as well as matching thread, and buy a pair of shoe strings (25-inches) or decorative cord for the drawstring. However, you can sew your drawstrings out of the bag fabric by cutting a 1 x 25 inch strip. Press the two short sides below, then fold the strip in half the length, and keep the wrong sides together. Place the long sides toward the center folds on both sides, and then press. Stitch along the outer edge at both ends and along the pressing opening.
- Cut a rectangle of 10½ x 4 inches from the poster board, place it on the fabric, and then cut two rectangles.
- Fix the two fabric rectangles together, right sides facing inside. Sew a ½ inch seam, and leave the top of the bag open, and 2 inches on top of each side. Then, push up from both sides to match the ½ inch seam. Turn the bag right side out and press all the way up both sides. Fold ¼ inch, inward, press and sew each side of the bag. Fold again, inward, about 1¾ inches, press and then sew each side.
- Connect the two cords ends at each seam side of the bag in a decorative knot, and pull the cord to form a gather effect that closes the bag.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: